When looking for a "green" REALTOR®, it is important to find someone who understands green issues and can help you find what you’re looking for in a home. Here are some things to look for in a REALTOR®:
* Is a certified EcoBroker® or an EcoGreen Certified Agent. An EcoBroker® is a professional REALTOR® who has completed an educational training focused on green building; the credential is recognized nationally. Similarly, an EcoGreen Certified Agent has completed eco-based training, but the program only credentials California agents at this time.
* Associated with green building/real estate organizations like the California Building Performance Contractors Association, the U.S. Green Building Council, and others.
* Understands key green terms, such as indoor air quality (IAQ), VOCs (volatile organic compounds), CFLs (compact florescent light bulbs), etc. Also, this person should be able to identify the green features of a potential home (such as proximity to public transportation, energy efficiency, good natural light, etc.).
* Knowledgeable about different green home certifications.
* Familiar with home energy-saving methods and can suggest possibilities for green renovations to a home.
* Able to advise buyers of the tax credits or rebates available for making energy- and water-efficiency upgrades to their homes.
* Has connections with reputable green builders and contractors.
* Maintains a green working environment: recycles, provides clients with a paperless transaction, drives to properties in an environmentally friendly vehicle, is energy conscious, etc.